Grand Junction Derby
SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2018
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines! Join us at the track for a great day of soapbox racing in Westfield! 2018 marks our 10th Annual Grand Junction Derby! Cheer on local children, families, businesses, and non-profits as they race their hand-built derby cars in a bracketed heat. The one-day track is set up in downtown Westfield and features a gravity powered start via two large flat-beds. All cars will be displayed along “Gasoline Alley” to win the coveted people’s choice award! Stick around after the race and continue the celebration by attending the 3rd Annual Rock the Junction event. More information HERE!
The tricycle races will begin a little after 11am and the Derby car races will begin at 11:30am!
Registration ends on May 10th!
Cars Will Compete In One of Two Classes:
*Traditional Soapbox Derby Body Style
*formerly named “Competitive Car”
*Any vehicle that does NOT have the traditional Soapbox Derby Body Style
*NEW 2018 RULE: Due to a new event layout, pushers WILL NOT BE ALLOWED in either category (Stock Car Class or Creative Class). The new event layout provides an even greater downhill slope so that pushers will be not be necessary in either category.
Derby Car Resources
Building a Derby Car can be simple with the right resources! Whether you buy a stock car kit or build from scratch, we have some great resources! Please be sure to read the Derby Car Rules before starting the design of any car! Click HERE to be inspired from past year’s cars!
Help Make Westfield Community Events Happen!
Volunteer Information and Sign Up:
We can’t make our community events happen without the support of our volunteers and partners. The City of Westfield Community Events and Engagement department strives to make volunteering as engaging and rewarding as possible. If you are interested in more information please reach out to our Westfield Welcome Manager, Bailey Spitznagle firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your contact information HERE
To sign up to be a volunteer for events, please follow the steps below:
- We love safe events and we want our volunteers to contribute to providing safety! All adult volunteers are required to submit a background check. Please fill out a background check form by clicking HERE . You will receive confirmation once your information has been accepted.
- Once you have been approved as an official Westfield Welcome volunteer you will receive upcoming volunteer opportunities and needs.
We need volunteers for the following positions:
- Car Holder – Car holders will hold the derby cars at top of ramp prior to the race starting & release the car when given the signal. This role is considered strenuous.
- Finish Line Attendant – Finish line attendants will determine the winner of each heat and radio the outcome to bracket updater in Gasoline Alley.
- Barricade Enforcer Shift #1 – Barricade enforcers will follow list of approved vehicles to enter & park in the space and ensure drivers abide by barricades in place.
- Barricade Enforcer Shift #2 – Barricade enforcers will follow list of approved vehicles to enter & park in the space and ensure drivers abide by barricades in place.
- Tricycle Organizer – Tricycle organizers will check in tricycles, ensure that waivers have been signed, organize them by age group, walk them to the start of the parade and back to gasoline alley. Organize them for their heats and hand out medals.
- Pit Crew – Pit crew volunteers will assist with pushing derby cars from the finish line back to Gasoline Alley after their heat is complete.
- Bracket Updater – Bracket updaters will create and update whiteboard bracket after each heat and communicate with the Gasoline Alley Marshall.
- Gasoline Alley Marshall – Gasoline alley marshall will keep the cars inside Gasoline Alley organized and lined up, ensuring that the cars in the upcoming heat are on deck at all times. You will be in charge of this area and be using a megaphone.
- Race Lane Monitor – Race lane monitor will walk or jog up and down Union Street to ensure viewers are staying off the street as cars are racing.
- Derby Car Check-In Assistant – Derby car check-in assistant will aide the PIC (person in charge) by ensuring that all waivers have been signed by participants and pushers and cars are getting inspected by the car inspector.
- Kid Zone Assistant – Assist with either helping our balloon or body paint artist. Both will need help forming lines and helping children choose their designs before it is their turn.
Use our Community Events for Marketing!
Our community events offer businesses a fantastic marketing platform. We do our best to develop sponsorships with real marketing benefits that will help drive business to you. Beyond driving business to you, sponsorships are an excellent way to be a visible community stakeholder because your sponsorship dollars go directly back into the community.
2018 Westfield Community Events Sponsorship Guide HERE