Turkey. Homemade stuffing and mashed potatoes. Cranberry sauce. Asparagus. Brussel sprouts. Carrots. Crescent rolls. Pretzel rolls. Pumpkin pie. These are all of the items that are at our family Thanksgiving!
Every year, my mom, dad, and sister gather around the table Thanksgiving afternoon for a family feast. Even though it is only the four of us, we never fail to prepare a meal that could feed three times that size. My dad smokes the turkey on a Green Egg Smoker, my mom crafts the mouthwatering pumpkin pie and delicious stuffing, and my sister and I prep the veggies; all while the NFL football games are playing on the TV in the background. Our two dogs enjoy the commotion, and normally get to taste-test the turkey as a treat. Once all of the food is ready, after a long morning of cooking, we all sit around our dining room table and enjoy a plentiful meal!
While most people join others in the giving of thanks, our extended family lives too far away, thus we have created our own Thanksgiving traditions. Thanksgiving Day is always spent eating too much food and enjoying company with one another! The Friday after Thanksgiving, we have the tradition of going shopping on Black Friday. My mom, sister, and I avoid the early morning crowds by sleeping-in, and starting our shopping around 10:30am- with the first stop being a coffee shop! Even though we do buy a few holiday gifts when we are out, we mostly use this day as quality time together. When tend to go to all of the major retailers, but we also like to stop at local boutiques, where we find the unique and creative items that others will love to unwrap when they receive that special gift! Once the day of shopping is over, my entire family meets for dinner at a local restaurant. Leftovers are saved for the weekend!
Shopping this year’s Black Friday? See below the major retail hours:
- Walmart; opens at 6pm on Thanksgiving, open all day Friday
- Target; open 6pm-midnight on Thanksgiving, opens 6am on Friday
- Best Buy; opens at 5pm on Thanksgiving, opens 8am on Friday
- Dick’s Sporting Goods; open 6pm-2am on Thanksgiving evening, opens 5am Friday
- Hobby Lobby; closed on Thanksgiving, open 8am-9pm Friday
- Home Depot; closed on Thanksgiving, opens at 6am Friday
- Kohl’s; opens at 5pm on Thanksgiving, open all day Friday
- Lowe’s; closed on Thanksgiving, opens at 6am on Friday
- Michaels; open 6pm-midnight on Thanksgiving, open 7am-10pm on Friday
- PetSmart; closed on Thanksgiving, opens at 7am on Friday
- Ulta; open 6pm-2am on Thanksgiving evening; open 6-10 on Friday
Shopping on Small Business Saturday? Check out a list of local Westfield businesses here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/shop-small/maps/near=Westfield,IN,46074/cl=40.0286928,-86.1364084?linknav=us-open-shopsmall-globalheader-map&lang=en-US